Thread: New Blood
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

When I was in Jr High school, our PE teacher incorporated some officiating information into our curriculum. Mostly football and basketball as he was a certified HS and College official in these sports. That is what got me interested in officiating.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that there would be a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through to get new courses introduced into HS curriculum. You may want to investigate the possibility of sending a "guest speaker" to talk to some classes about officiating. This may be easier to get approved.

Another thing that I tried with some success was to find out when some of the local coaches were having instructional clinics or camps for players in the area. I would ask for a small window of time, maybe 30 minutes, to discuss rules and the role of the official in the game. I would also make sure that I included an offer for the players to come join the officiating ranks when their HS eligiblility was over. This method is not a quick fix, but I did recruit several new officials over a few years.