View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 10:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Jeff,
Your last paragraph was non-sensical. You asked how steroids make a difference and I told you the physical changes that occur. You take an average player put him on performance enhancement drugs and make him better. That is why they are illegal for all of us and not just ball players. It is also against the law for the local gym rat to imbibe and unethical for a millionire baby to flaunt it.
All I am saying Windy is that many of the players that have been caught using and suspended for steroids are not setting records or ripping up the Majors. That is fine that you feel this is such a big issue, but it is not for everyone out there. There are a lot of reasons records have fallen and many of the players in that were setting records did not do so in the type of ball fields or with the type of pitching staffs as there is today. Teams today are lucky if they have one really good pitcher. There are many players in all positions that would not play if there were only around 20 teams as there was in the 50s and 60s.

Quote:
We are not comparing what happened fifty years ago with what is happening now. I offered that perfomance enhancing drugs have been around the game for a long time -amphetamines, numbing cortizone, etc. Steroids have only reared their ugly head in the past thirty or so years. They extended careers, cut short lives and tarnish records. I care who is taking those drugs because I care about the records. Hank Aaron battled racism, injuries and an unbelievable career to set the single best record in sports. It should not fall to a guy without the cajones to admit that he took an illegal substance to gain power. Yes, he posseses the hand eye coordination of a gunslinger. He also cheated and should pay the price. Some people argue that Jason Giambi came back clean and had a great year. That's true - he worked hard and still carries more muscle than he did six years ago. Those steroids built the body and he maintained the talent to keep him in a very competitive field. Where would he be without those little helpers? Not on the Yankees likely.
Are you a scientist? How do you know what steroids did to Giambi? If performance enhancing drugs are illegal, why was it OK in the fifties to take a drug that helps you recover and help you through a grind of more than 100 games?

Quote:
The media has the ability and right to scrutinize those that want to be held up as heros. We run our politicians through the wringer and lose some talented ones because of the duress. Athletes are no less accountable. They are entertainers who earn good salaries. If Kate Moss can lose endorsement deals for doing an illegal drug why shouldn't Barry Bonds?
I personally do not know of any endorsements that Bonds has.

Quote:
Lastly, and I realize that I digress - did you see Joe Pa's comment about the black athlete in football? Maybe it is time to retire.
Yes and I do not have a problem his comments. When are white people going to stop telling Black people in this country what should offend them? I am just curious.

Peace