View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 05, 2005, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Jeff,
Your last paragraph was non-sensical. You asked how steroids make a difference and I told you the physical changes that occur. You take an average player put him on performance enhancement drugs and make him better. That is why they are illegal for all of us and not just ball players. It is also against the law for the local gym rat to imbibe and unethical for a millionire baby to flaunt it.

We are not comparing what happened fifty years ago with what is happening now. I offered that perfomance enhancing drugs have been around the game for a long time -amphetamines, numbing cortizone, etc. Steroids have only reared their ugly head in the past thirty or so years. They extended careers, cut short lives and tarnish records. I care who is taking those drugs because I care about the records. Hank Aaron battled racism, injuries and an unbelievable career to set the single best record in sports. It should not fall to a guy without the cajones to admit that he took an illegal substance to gain power. Yes, he posseses the hand eye coordination of a gunslinger. He also cheated and should pay the price. Some people argue that Jason Giambi came back clean and had a great year. That's true - he worked hard and still carries more muscle than he did six years ago. Those steroids built the body and he maintained the talent to keep him in a very competitive field. Where would he be without those little helpers? Not on the Yankees likely.

The media has the ability and right to scrutinize those that want to be held up as heros. We run our politicians through the wringer and lose some talented ones because of the duress. Athletes are no less accountable. They are entertainers who earn good salaries. If Kate Moss can lose endorsement deals for doing an illegal drug why shouldn't Barry Bonds?

Lastly, and I realize that I digress - did you see Joe Pa's comment about the black athlete in football? Maybe it is time to retire.