View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 04, 2005, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Honestly I do not think Barry and others care if you believe them or not. Until you can prove something, I think all of it is pure speculation. If I take steroids one time, that is not going to make me a good player all by itself. Look at all the players that have been found out to have taken steroids. Do you hear any Hall of Famers out their other than Palmerio? Lawton is a scrub that most people would not know who they were if they slapped their Mama. If you feel it took it that is great for discussion sake, but I do not see how steroids makes you a better player. You still have to hit the ball. You still have to make good contact with the ball. You still have to run and catch the ball. You can come up with all the numbers but I see a bunch of players getting caught that are not even considered good baseball players. And many of these players are not even power hitters.

Peace
Of course it is speculative, Barry Bonds is a mute when it comes to admitting he did it. Jeff, do you think Mark McGwire took steroids? Do you think Frank Thomas, Pudge Rodriguez, Luis Gonzalez, Sammy Sosa or Ken Caminiti did? How about Mr. October, Reggie Jackson or Dave Winfield? All have been suspected of using some sort of illegal enhancement in order to be more competitive and all are power hitters. All were plagued with injuries after tremendous mucle growth. During the 70's and early 80's, enough ball players have admitted that they took "greenies" (amphetamines) to gain an advantage that it became accepted. More and more players are being caught or admitting that they did the same with steroids.

The game has become more competitive and the money too great for athletes to be average. Once a guy has HOF after his name, he will not admit that he took illegal substances in order to get there. Steroids are not just for building huge mass. They can take an average player with a good eye and make him a superstar. Those fast twitch muscles, coupled with increased mass make .160 hitters become .300 hitters. Hitting the ball hard enough to get through a gap is just as important as hitting it over the fence. That is how steroids make you a better baseball player.