View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Much as I'd love to say that something like that would never,ever happen to me personally, I really couldn't - to be quite honest.
A similar but different happened to me long ago (I think that's the thread Dan is referring to). Two-person game...I signaled white and verbalized white and then brought a few subs in. Partner hands ball to red. I notice immediately, but hesitate on my whistle briefly to make sure. Two dribbles and then I crack the whistle. Give ball back to red. This is an intense, heated game with playoff implications and not a word was said. Nothing. Nada. I should have reacted quicker. No doubt about that.

Had I let play continue, we would have had a hornet's nest and our game probably would have made the main story of the sports page the next day. Sometimes we just do what we gotta do.

We can quote rules all day, but the truth is that almost all refs occaisonally use their better judgement to get out of a situation.

How many officials haven't given the ball to blue when it went off blue but they passed on contact by white? Hey, that's against the rules, but I've seen it done so many times that I've lost count.

Z