Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 05:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
A screw-up can be explained away. Sh!t happens. A deliberate ignoring of or misapplication of a rule could be referee career suicide though. A state assignor/evaluator present can explain away why something may have happened as long as the situation over-all can also be explained as being handled properly rules-wise. Iow if you made a mistake, you might as well admit it. Evaluators cannot explain away an official deliberately misapplying a rule. And if you think, if this play might or possibly does make a difference in who wins or loses at the state playoff varsity level, that the losing coach is gonna just say "Oh, great, that's good sportsmanship. I'm all for it", well, you're a helluva lot more optimistic than I am.

There's a time and a place for everything. Experience and common sense usually will tell you where and when not you can do what Rich is suggesting.

Again, jmo fwiw.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 2nd, 2005 at 05:19 PM]
If three officials let this happen in a game at a state tournament, they are all committing career suicide no matter how they choose to try to solve it.

Z
Yup, probably, but the main discussion is what to do if it actually does happen.

Much as I'd love to say that something like that would never,ever happen to me personally, I really couldn't - to be quite honest.
I was working with a newer guy last year who, in his haste, put the ball in play with 6 on the floor. I had my hand up as I knew they hadn't completed the substitution and he didn't make eye contact with me.

I agressively stopped play (the ball MIGHT have come onto the floor) and I had one of the players sent off. No technical, no complaining either.

A gross error on the part of the officials in managing the game shouldn't penalize either team.