View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 05:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[/B]
As an evaluator, you'd get more game management points from me fixing the scenario the way I described. You've already lost all the points you can lose by giving the wrong team the ball. No coach I know would demand those points knowing his team didn't deserve the ball in the first place.

Again, I didn't expect my response to be embraced here -- I feel too many on boards like this have their noses buried too deeply in case books to see the bigger picture. Like how you're going to manage the coach of the team wrongly offended after (1) the wrong team gets the ball and (2) the wrong team scores on an uncontested layup all because YOU couldn't remember which team was supposed to have the ball.

[/B][/QUOTE]As one of the great men in history once said "And Now For Something Completely Different".......

Jmo but I think all of you are being way too simplistic and all of you are missing the "big picture".

This particular situation has got way too many variables in it to say "It's gotta be done this way--i.e. the level of ball being played, time and score, importance of game, political ramifications, etc.

If you're in a situation where a do-ever doesn't really mean that much-- ms game, blowout, meaningless game, whatever-- then by all means have a do-over. Just make sure you explain to the coaches why you're doing it. No harm/no foul.

If you're in a state playoff game replete with assignors/evaluators, then you had better damnwell be right. A screw-up can be explained away. Sh!t happens. A deliberate ignoring of or misapplication of a rule could be referee career suicide though. A state assignor/evaluator present can explain away why something may have happened as long as the situation over-all can also be explained as being handled properly rules-wise. Iow if you made a mistake, you might as well admit it. Evaluators cannot explain away an official deliberately misapplying a rule. And if you think, if this play might or possibly does make a difference in who wins or loses at the state playoff varsity level, that the losing coach is gonna just say "Oh, great, that's good sportsmanship. I'm all for it", well, you're a helluva lot more optimistic than I am.

There's a time and a place for everything. Experience and common sense usually will tell you where and when not you can do what Rich is suggesting.

Again, jmo fwiw.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 2nd, 2005 at 05:19 PM]