Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 04:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Henry
I get it. Fix-able before the WRONG team gets the ball. But not fix-able or correctable after the WRONG team scores the basket. Right?
I know this answer will displease many, if not most, here, but...

That's right, if you're taking a rules test.

However, in real life, if this happened to me I would take the points off the board, reset the clock if I knew what the clock was supposed to be before the throw-in, apologize to the coaches for being an idiot, and give the ball to the proper team.

Flame away
Flame? No, but just hope that I'm not being evaluated when I'm working with you. Nothing personal.
I work with the same partner all season, so we probably won't work together. But if we did work together, I wouldn't let you hand the wrong team the ball

So, do you worry more about the outcome of an evaluation than you worry about changing a patently unfair outcome on the court?

If you give the wrong team the ball, YOU'VE made a gross error on the court. Allowing that team to score after YOUR gross error amplifies YOUR gross error.

As an evaluator, you'd get more game management points from me fixing the scenario the way I described. You've already lost all the points you can lose by giving the wrong team the ball. No coach I know would demand those points knowing his team didn't deserve the ball in the first place.

Again, I didn't expect my response to be embraced here -- I feel too many on boards like this have their noses buried too deeply in case books to see the bigger picture. Like how you're going to manage the coach of the team wrongly offended after (1) the wrong team gets the ball and (2) the wrong team scores on an uncontested layup all because YOU couldn't remember which team was supposed to have the ball.

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Nov 2nd, 2005 at 04:36 PM]