View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

By the book, many college pitchers have an illegal motion. In addition to a leap, some have a fairly obvious replant and second push that they use on occasion. Cat O, who takes the brunt of the web board bashing, has a very skillful and difficult to see in real time, but obvious in still photos, leap/replant. But she is far from alone.

JMO, but she gets the criticism because she is such an outstanding pitcher who had the temerity to not pitch for a Pac-10 college, instead pitching for a UT team that without her would be mediocre. With her, they are a contender in the WCWS (in case you were wondering, Mike, that stands for Women's College World Series!)

But, I digress...

Getting back to the main point. If many college pitchers have a motion that is illegal by the book, and yet it is not being called, why is that?

It is not some umpire conspiracy. It is not evidence of umpire cowardace. It is, in fact, (I believe) evidence of umpires doing their job. IOW, the NCAA does not want these motions called illegal. It is their game, their rules, their instructions to umpires.

I know that is a tough argument to make on eteamz, with the Sam's of the world and that nut from Nebraska around, but (speaking as someone who does not call college, but basing this on many of the umpires I know who do), I beleive this to be the truth.