View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

I'd say don't leave a crew. Be patient. I think you would lose out if you weren't on a crew. When there are openings, make informal contacts with the other crews to let them know you are available. Make yourself visible as one who is a "go-getter" by attending all the rules meetings, speaking up, asking questions. People notice the guys who are looking to improve. Talk to guys on other crews about officiating, rules, mechanics, situations, etc.

As mentioned in a previous post, getting on a good crew is a great boost. I was a white hat and our crew was working independently because of our location out in the boonies. When I moved to a larger town because of another job I had the opportunity to go on another crew as L. It was the top crew in the region and we ended up doing a state championship game. I learned a lot and now I have my own crew and we are moving up the ranks fast because we are all working at getting better. I recently was on a crew where the white hat really didn't give a rip, similar to yours, and it was frustrating. But, it was better than not working on Friday nights. I was still visible and other crews knew I was interested in getting better and doing things the right way.