Thread: Penalty on Try
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lds7199
Ok, I know that the FM penalty on a try should be marked off from the end of the run. What would you tell your WH if you show him the enforcement rules and he still says that there is a difference in the way it is enforced on a try? I have already asked him to show me where the rulebook says to enforce differently. How do you convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced?
Sometimes you can't. The sad thing is that some guys can't or won't admit they're wrong. We have a guy like that on our crew. He can't admit he's wrong. To this day he won't admit to an inadvertant whistle that even Stevie Wonder could have seen. Your case in compounded by the fact that it's the white hat who can't admit he's wrong. Were you assigned to this guy or are you on a crew with him? I'd keep on him about the rule book until he either gets the book out or he blows a fuse. What about the others on the crew? Can you enlist them? How about a rules interpreter or your association people?

Be careful when you say a FM on a try is the end of the run. It may or may not be, depends on the type of play (loose ball play v. running play). Know your basic spots and the all but one and the difference between a loose ball play and a running play inside and out. That is about 90% of all penalty enforcement you will encounter. Finally, Google over to "Penalty Enforcement for Dummies". It's written by Bob M. who posts here often. It's the goods. I read it before every game. It takes the rule book and arranges all penalty enforcements in a logical manner. Show THAT to your white hat and ask him to use it to prove his point.

[Edited by schwinn on Nov 1st, 2005 at 08:58 AM]