Thread: Penalty on Try
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by actmiller
I have seen that quite often. My opinion, is that some officials are in it for the paycheck and neglect to give the teams their all by not reading and re-reading the rules on a regular basis. In fact, I don't think some of the officials can even read. Every official on the field needs to know the rules just a well as the WH. When everyone knows the rules not only will the games be officiated correctly but most games will be officiated equitable between officiating crews as well. We won't have as much of, "that crew didn't do it that way last week", or "we have been doing that all year and you are the first one that has told me that it is illegal", etc.
I've never met an official who knew every application of every rule. That is why we have websites such as this. As far as officials "in it for the paycheck" that's ridiculous. Any average friday night for me involves approximately five plus hours of my time in addition to gas, postgame refreshments, grief from my wife and kids, abuse from players, coaches, parents, fans, and the media. There are certainly much easier ways to make a buck.