View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

1. Kelvin, you're right that the wording of the new POI definition could be cleaned up. I finally saw your point about how that part b is written. However, if one looks at the entire definition as a whole, it seems that the FT already in flight, which misses, fits best under part c.
Of course, the throw-in play has to be covered by part b and there is STILL no team control during the throw-in for NFHS. Why didn't they just learn from the NCAA and make this change all at once in one year? We wouldn't be worrying about this if they had been smart about it.

2. Chuck, BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!! The stoppage doesn't occur DURING the FT activity because the ball remains live if a foul occurs while a try, including a FT, is in flight. This means that we don't reshoot the FT. On the other hand the stoppage does occur during the throw-in because the ball becomes dead at the time of the double-foul, so we go with a throw-in to the same team.
It seems a law degree is need to understand these basketball rules.

3. Camron, good argument by analogy for the throw-in. An attorney would argue in the same manner. It makes sense to handle the POI the same way. Of course, I expect the NFHS to make the NCAA amendment next year and have team control during a throw-in.

You guys really helped me understand this new POI rule better.
Thanks.