Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 02:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Double foul on a missed ahot, double foul on a rebound, double foul on a throw in... See other post on POI
I don't believe a double foul on a throwin does applies. There was likely an infraction or goal involved that was the reason for the throwin. The team throwing the ball in earned a throwin due to a prior infraction and the double foul doesn't negate that. This same language is used in discussions of an inadvertant whistle. The ball shall go back to the team that has the ball for the throwin.

You only go to the arrow on when there is no way to know who would have got the ball next if the whistle hadn't been blown.
My point exactly- I dont think you would give it back to team who had ball.

Here is what I mean...

Team A has ball for throw-in, pass is released and ball is in flight when A and B commit a double foul.

Who would have the ball when the whistle was blown? This is no different (using NFHS definitions) than a ball in flight on a shot. You dont know if pass will be intercepted, caught by A etc, and as we all know and discussed there is no team control on a throw-in.

If the Double foul happened prior to ball being handed to thrower I believe POI would be to call the foul and give it again to thrower but once ball is in the air you now have neither team in control, and there is no way to determine who would have had the ball if the whistle had not blown.

The comment is pretty clear that AP is used when POI cannot be determined. How do you determine POI on a throw-in once the ball is in flight?
If it were a foul only on offense it would be a 1 and 1. Double foul seems to go to the AP. As we have discussed here NFHS is all about rules consistency. Ball in flight with no team control and whistle is no different on a shot, throwin, rebound, or jump ball
But the correct answer is that you DO give it back to the team which was making the throw-in as long as the double-foul occurs during the throw-in. In other words, prior to the ball being touched inbounds.

Why? Because the new rule specifically says to do so.

4-36-2b
"A free throw or a throw-in when the stoppage occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such."