View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 30, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re: umps & fear of calling leap/crowhopping, why?

Quote:
Originally posted by nubie
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Roger,

Welcome to the board.

I think you were the one who mentioned leaping.

Speaking ASA,

If the pitcher is a female, she must maintain contact with the pitcher's plate or drag away with the pivot foot remaining in contact with the ground, just like it states in the rule book.

If the pitcher is a male, he may leap without penalty as long as the toes of the pivot foot remain pointing down.

In no case may any pitcher replant prior to releasing the pitch.

Why Irish, since you're a senior ump, aren't the umps mandated to call the illegal pitches, or not be allowed to ump, since they are condoning cheating?

Please show me where I made any statement like that
Quote:

It's said here, "We(umps) see with our eyes(closed ones?). Parents/fans see with their hearts." How true is that,& why is this allowed? Even CatO. was leaping/hopping, as pointed out by L.Fernandez on live ESPN TV,"Oops that was a hop",& it wasn't called!? Please Help!
To what game are you referring?

As an umpire, you watch and don't watch what the UIC indicates. Unless I'm privy to that information first hand, I'm not crucifying an umpire for not making an IP call.

Lisa Fernandez was no saint on the plate either, though her style is nothing like Cat's. When Cat first started at UT, it took slow-motion replay to see the replant.

It's a whole different story when you have nothing else to do but watch the pitcher's feet via an electronic transmission using different angles than the umpire is permitted. Personally, I don't know how anyone can take anything that comes from the talking heads during an ESPN softball broadcast seriously.