Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Exactly what phrase in the story, Juulie, makes the article "Not entirely off-topic" to basketball officiating?

The story and it's PDF friend have as much in common with basketball officiating as they do with underwater Caribbean basket weaving.

Janet Shibley Hyde reminds me of J. Evans Pritchard.
Wow, sorry to push your buttons, Jglar. Some of us struggle constantly with the subject of how gender affects our performance as refs, or how it affects the perception of our performance, depending on the circumstances. If you don't see that as an issue, then you're part of the problem.

btw, "The story and it's PDF friend..." is incorrect grammar -- no apostrophe is necessary in this "its".
I'm not here to take sides, but this post realy confused me...much more than my normal state of confusion anyways.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with the article you linked? Frankly, I find it hard to imagine a scenario where a man would say what you've just said here.

Or maybe I'm just part of the problem too.

I don't know whether I agree or disagree with the article. It's just interesting -- a different view of the "gender gap". A man probably wouldn't say what I've said, because a man mostly doesn't have to worry about how his gender affects how he's perceived. Although, I've heard that divorced fathers who want custody of their children face incredible prejudice in court. Dan, you're not as much part of the problem as others. You are willing to watch someone ref and judge them based on their abilities. Maybe Jugular isn't as bigoted as he's pretending, but he sounds pretty sexist. Maybe that's because I don't know who J. Evans Pritchard is.

Also, I don't know what the "PDF friend" thing means.
First of all, any "research" that sets out to debunk how something is portayed in the popular media amounts to nothing more than a pile of BS, imo. The popular media is hardly known for presenting well thought out representations of anything.

Secondly, even the researchers agree that there is a marked difference between men & women in how they deal with sexuality & aggression, as well as in general physical abilitiy.

If how they deal with sex & aggression does not cause a marked difference between the general psychological make up of ANY 2 groups then I don't know what does.

Finally, my doubts as to whether I'm part of the problem or not was a sarcastic comment.