View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 28, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I started working our YMCA Youth League, 12 years ago as a biddy-Coach. The guy that ran Program was great. He sent quite a few of us fathers to Ref School so we could do the Games. I started reffing all the age Group Games and coaching my son's team from 4th Grade to 12th Grade. I stayed with it after my son graduated as they are always short on Coaches in the YMCA high school bracket.

We are suppose to set a good example for the kids. (Easy in Theory.) When you Coach....you want your kids to win, it's hard not to get frisky sometimes.

I remember once when one of the father's (HE HAD ATTENDED REF SCHOOL TOO) called 3 seconds on my son on an out of bounds play. I didn't say anything. I just got up and walked behind the bench and stated to bang my head on the mat on the wall.

Having played HS ball and 2 years of what became Div. 3 ball, I thought I knew the Rules intil I attended School. I'm convinced that many Coaches short change their kids by not being able to teach them "specifics" of the Rules.

Yelling, "Don't TRAVEL!" isn't teaching unless the kid knows what exactly he did wrong.