Thread: Out of bounds
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2001, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:

Maybe this should be in a new thread but I can think of how the rule could be any plainer in its meaning.

7-6-3 The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.
The rule you've quoted says it's ok for the defender to break the plane once the ball is released. It doesn't say that he may contact the ball, however. The provision above could simply be a recognition that the momentum of the player could carry him beyond the boundary.

On the other hand, 10-3-12 states that a player is charged with a technical foul if he should "reach through the throw-in boundary-line plane and touch. . .the ball". No mention is made of whether the touching occurs before or after the "thrower" has released the ball for the throw-in. It seems like it's saying that the defender my not touch the ball by reaching through the boundary-plane, period.

Now, that may not be a correct interpretation, but I think I've shown that it can reasonably be read a different way. So I agree with the point that it should be clarified.

Chuck