View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Re: If you don't want advice, go away!

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
This is the last thing I am going to add to this thread. If I know I got the call right. I'm not asking for help, either. But, somehow all this other stuff gets added into the post by certain people. I haven't gone to the home plate umpire in a long time. If Tee doesn't want to or feel he needs to get help that is fine and dandy. That is what starts all the fireworks. His belittle of me and other posters. He is the one that gets off base, if you know what I mean. Right now, him and his cronies are ripping someone over the spelling of a word. Even pulling out their dictionairies. I may come off as harse, but I refuse to be patronized. To know me is to love me.

PWL,

Lord knows Tee and I don't always agree, but this is one of the times he is on the money.

You're the one who is belittling him for not going along with your "feel good" approach to umpiring. Tee responds to your nonsense and tries to give you some sound advice, and you dismiss it without even considering he might be right.

Just because some of us agree with Tim that you should be able to move to the developing play and set yourself to make the right call, doesn't mean were his "cronies." It means that you may want to get over yourself for a minute and consider we simply are in agreement on this issue.

If you feel you were straight lined and possibly missed the swipe tag or pulled foot, the first thing you should do is sell the call with confidence! After you've made the call, wait for any continuing action to relax and then turn your back to the close call and hustle back to your position.

If the manager comes out and is granted time to discuss the call with you, tell him what you saw. When you have the discussion you need to be confident in your explaination. More often than not you will convince him that going to your partner for help is going to be a conference made in futility. If he insists that you ask for help, the proper protocol is to grant his request. That doesn't mean your not going to ultimately make the call yourself. It means your simply going to have a discussion with your partner.

Most of the time when a manager asks for my partner and I to have a conference, we discuss one of the MILFS in the stands. The reason we do this, is we are all about making our own calls!

My opinion, is whiney coaches who argue a judgement call, can lay back and try to piss up a rope. It's my call, and as long as I've made it to the best of my ability, no amount of "huddling up" is going to change my mind.

In 15 years of umpiring, I've only overturned myself twice because of a partners input. Both times were early in my career and had to do with poor positioning. After learning how to be in the right position to avoid being blocked out, I've never had another umpire tell me anything I already didn't know myself.

You stated that you've never ejected a coach. I find that hard to believe, but I'll take you at your word. Now you advocate going for help if you think you missed a call. Going for help because a manager thinks you should is one thing. Going for help because you think you should due to poor positioning is another matter entirely.

The point the guys are trying to make to you is that we've learned through experience that this playing nicey nice with the coaches will make you a whipping boy for them. Make your own calls, eject without predjudice, and stop being such a pu$$y!

Tim.

[Edited by bigump56 on Oct 27th, 2005 at 10:14 AM] [/B][/QUOTE]

Can I get an AMEN?