View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden on 02-11-2000 11:50 AM
If the whistle blows, the ball is dead unless it is in the air for a shot. The play that happened in the playoffs was the NC vs NC-Charlette game and I did get a chance to talk to one of the officials who called that game. What happened was he blew the whistle for a foul but be believed the shot was unmakeable so instead of deciding the game at the free throw line, he chose to call an inadvertant whistle and therefore a miracle last second shot at the other end or overtime would decide the game. Of course the miracle shot did not happen so they played O.T.

Whoa! Is that for real?! What happened to "Officials don't decide the game"?

I can respect the official who can call an actual inadvertant whistle without ego OR have the cajones to make a tough call. But to make up an inadvertant whistle to cover a call after-the-fact is unbelievable!

If a player was mindless enough to foul on a desperation shot, and there was enough contact to merit his whistle, should have stuck to his call.

But, then again, I'm not a D1 tourney official, and he is (wink-wink) ! And I thought NBA officials had the monopoly on mysterious calls!

Wondering, is he still working the tourney? Would he have given the "uncatchable" football mechanic?