Thread: Out of bounds
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 24, 2001, 04:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Mr. DeNucci is wrong...the new rule says they may still run the baseline...case book 7.5.7 Situation A on pg 4 addresses this particular situation...

DJ
I am ashamed that I had forgotten about that new case book play. I understand the logic in the ruling, but it leaves my wondering why it is in direct conflict with the logic that the NFHS uses when one of the jumpers catches the ball before a jump ball ends.

If A1 (one of the two jumpers) takes player control of the ball before the jump ball ends, the NFHS ruling is that Team A has gained control for AP purposes and the AP arrow is set toward Team B's basket, and by A1 gaining player control in violation of the jump ball rule, Team B gets a throw-in nearest the spot of the violation by A1. I hope everybody can see where I am going with this.

In the case book play, Team B's throw-in ended when A1 touched the ball with his/her foot, A1 committed a floor violation by illegally kicking the ball. See how this logic is in line with the NFHS's jump ball violation above.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio