View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Here was an interesting play that occured in one of my games.

A1 is fouled on the wing (non shooting, no bonus) by B1. After the whistle A1 continues to drive, though slowly to the basket (all other players have stopped) A1 jumps up and appears to want to lay in or maybe dunk the ball. But before he gets up to the ring B2 comes and garbs him around the waist, nothing flagarant or rough but clearly not wanting A1 to but the ball in his teams basket during the dead ball period.

One of my patners calls double T's on Al and B2. A1 gets an indirect for attempting to dunk a ball during a deadball period and B2 gets an intentional for contact during a deadball period. We cancel the T's and go with POI.

Here is my question reading the rule book I see 3 possible calls

1) double T's (live or dead) are when 2 opponents commit technical fouls against each other at approximately the same time. PENALTY - No free throws, charge fouls to players and POI. This is what we did.

2) A false double is when fouls occur when fouls by both teams, the second occurring before the game clock is started after it is stopped for the first but an aspect of a double is missing. (the part that doesn't fit for me is that the A1's T did not stop the game clock. A player foul on a drive did)

3) Then there is simultaneous T's- Direct or indirect and occur when there is a technical foul committed by each team, at approximately the same time, NOT by opponents against each other. Maybe this is what we had. A1 T is not against B2 the player exactly. In this case each foul carries its own penalty and then POI.

There are a few question I have. First I am not sure that A1 was going to attempt to dunk the ball so I was not super happy with the indirect T. But I do feel it was unsportsmen like to continue to drive and make it "appear" he was going to do something. I don't know if it makes a big difference but I would have called an unsportsmenlike T on A1. Given that does that change which one of the above 3 senarios would you apply.

Personally I am a fan of #1 ring them up with the player T's then cancel each other and go POI. If not #1 then I think #3 is the next best.

I hope that makes some sense. I am interested in your thoughts.