View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 12, 2000, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Talking

quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker on 02-11-2000 09:10 AM
I agree. Because the shot clock continues on the air ball, and the jump ball results in the shooting team getting the ball back, there is NO reset of the clock. Had this happen to me two years ago. The veterans who saw the play told me I was wrong in resetting the clock (for the same reasons Dennis gave), and after studying the rule book on this one I determined that they were right. Even though there is not team control on the shot, if the shot clock continues and the same team gets the ball back--whether from a "simultaneous" jump ball, two opponents simultaneously causing the ball to go out of bounds, or a double foul--the shot clock stays where it is.

I knew this would stir up some discussion!

It is a reset.

Check out NCAA rule 2-13-c-4: ...continue time without a reset when play begins under the following circumstances: 4) During team control as defined in Rule 4-7-b, a defensive player causes a held ball and the possession arrow favors the offensive team.

Since we all agree that there is no team control, the fact that the shooting team (not OFFENSIVE team -- no team control at the time of SIMULTANEOUS rebound/possession) has the arrow is irrelevant.

Reset the clock.