View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
In the case book Comments on the 2005 Rules Revisions, the statement is made (and was emphasized in our state meeting in TN) that in order to be considered to have entered, the player, replaced player, or substitute should be viewed by the official as attempting to become part of the play. We were told to disregard if the player comes in away from the play. In no way can you call this IS. It's either IP or it's nothing.
You're right, I didn't like my answer, was researching the book but had to run for pizza. IS is only for the 12th man that doesn't get off the field, simultaneous with the snap. Actually, I quoted the exact comment revision on the NFHS website. They don't want people that accidentally or inadvertently step onto the field to get hit with IP, but they do want someone that enters to join the play banged whether they actually get in the play or not. They did not delete or modify the wording of 9.6.4 Situation C so entering the field intentionally, regardless of whether you get in on the play, is IP. My bad for trying to stretch it IS.

[Edited by BulldogMcC on Oct 21st, 2005 at 05:16 PM]