View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 21, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Under the rule change this year, in B and C, doesn't the entering player have to attempt to participate for there to be a foul?
First 10-4-2a in my previous post for Basic spot.

Second, no the rule change was really to illegal substitution. You can and should flag for illegal substitution if a substitute enters the field during the down and immediately retreats. Anything short of failing to be leaving the field is participation. Failing to get off the field in time is illegal substitution. Read the comments in the case book for rule 9-6.
Quote:
If a substitute enters the field during the down it is illegal participation and enforced from the basic spot. NOTE: Based on the rules change, officials are strongly encouraged to make certain that the substitute's entry into the field had some impact on the play and was not incidental to viewing the game or simply being in the bench area.
If a substitute enters the field and make no attempts to leave he has particpated. What they don't want us to do is ding a team for 15 yards when a player enters the field in error and retreats immediately or enters accidently because they were not paying attention to their location with respect to the sideline. In the example I gave, R34 thought he was the 11th player and entered the field. It was not a mistake or accidental and he did not immediatle retreat which would have made it IS.

Edit: Actually, by rule it is IP, but I know we would call it as an IS.]

[Edited by BulldogMcC on Oct 21st, 2005 at 04:43 PM]