View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 19, 2005, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phatneff
Nevadaref, I hate to say this, but you are incorrect. Yes, it does say that for USSF, but that doesn't mean you won't get sued. It is very possible for a USSF ref to be sued for something relating to this issue. If you doubt it, do some research. Negligence plays a big role in those suits. You are no longer "immune" for being a ref. Also, try getting an umbrella coverage from your insurance company. My guess is that they'll deny it because you are a referee, or else seriously question it.

Well, they can sue all they want, but with the specific language "not held liable" in the book, that case isn't likely to be successful. It is doubtful that a judge would even let it get to the trial stage. There is no point in debating this with you. You can consult your own attorney on this matter for an expert opinion. Perhaps you already have since you provide such a concrete answer. I just know what mine tells me.

As far as insurance goes, I agree with you that the USSF provides coverage for affiliated matches.

For NFHS play, there is the Federation insurance, if you are a member, or your own, or whatever insurance your local association has procured. The referees in my state have private insurance under which each registered official has $1M of liability coverage. We don't pay very much for it either.