View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dumbref
Sit 1 - As a general rule, wingmen officiate the neutral zone on their side of the ball. But that said, I think formation and where the ball is spotted could also be a factor. Say the ball is spotted on the inbound spot nearest you and the LJ has a split end on his sideline. Who is closer? That is a time where your partner may appreciate the help. This is something that wingmen can discuss prior to the game so each has an understanding as to how the other works.

Turn the situation around - what if you had told a DE on your side he was "OK" and the LJ had thrown his flag for encroachment. Would you think the LJ was over officiating?

Sit 2 - I agree with Bulldog, you were probably officiating the wrong area if you saw that foul.
"OVER OFFICIATING"? I truly doubt I have yet over officiated. I don't nit-pick in order to throw flags. In fact I've been working the local PeeWee league for the whole year and on the last game of the season a coach comes up and says "are you new? I've never seen you before." And it took till the third game in a row working with the local high school JV team for any of those coaches to notice me. So I'm not trying to throw flags to be noticed in the game. I only throw flags when they are deserved. I thought the DE being over the line was deserved.

As for situation 2...I was watching the backside and slowly moving towards the center of the field careful not to go too far. Basically keeping the closest players about 10 yards in towards the center from me. I really don't know what caused me to look away from my area but you know how something can just catch the corner of your eye and draw your attention. That's what happen with the hold. I saw a jersey being pulled and shoulder pads showing. But because of situation 1 I didn't call it and went back to watching my area.

Basically your comments show exactly what my question is. How do you keep from "OVER OFFICIATING" and at the same time calling what needs to be called...regardless of whether it's "YOUR" call or not? It seems an odd, undefined line that I need to learn.