Thread: 20-year hiatas
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 15, 2005, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BillA
I guess my question is, foul balls go every wich way. I dont see any protection on the arms, elbows and/or throat. I there a technique?
The chest protector protects your chest. Buy the best one you can get, for the level of ball you will call. Get a throat protector for you mask, and buy the best mask you can also. On foul balls you will more likely get hit in the mask or chest protector. You can buy elbow protectors, but nobody I know uses them. The best technique is to lock into position and let your equipment protect you. However, you will occassionally get hit, in an unprotected area. As every catcher knows, if you are not fearless, and can't stand getting hit every now and then, you can't play catcher.

The pinky finger on my left hand was broken early in the year in a college age game on an inside pitch that the catcher did not even get a glove on, why I don't know. It was the first inning of a double header on a Sunday, I completed that game and the next, and it was Tuesday before I could make it to the doctor's office to get it checked out. I still have a little bend in the lower half of my pinky that will be with me forever.

If getting hit in an unprotected body part is a major concern for you I would advise you not take up umpiring again, because you will get hit, sooner or later.