Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Dave,

I could not agree with you more. The catcher finishes the job (play)...we do not have this long discussion. In the post game news conference, you can hear (or suggest to yourself) that Doug Eddings may switch back to being a pointer type of umpire because of last night.

I point and have been for the past two seasons because of this exact play like last night that happened to my partner. After watching the whole thing transpire with my partner a few years back and then again with the play last night, is why I will probably always point from now on.
Ditto. After having a similiar play in a game several years ago, now I always point to the batter on a non-caught pitch, works great.

Thanks
David
I can guarantee one thing...in PA where I am if I would point, I wouldn't even smell a post-season game.
That's too bad. Is it just the point that's wrong? Because that's the PBUC mechanic on a half-swing: Point to the batter and say: "He went."

In my association, we use the mechanic we popularized almost 20 years ago following a fiasco in the college world series (Stanford v Texas): Our field umpire immediately signal "out" on a catch; "safe" on a ball not caught in flight. Solves all our problems.

BTW: Over the years I was severely castigated for suggesting such a mechanic.

Lah, me.
Thanks Carl, you said it much better than I could have,

... and it surely hasn't hurt my post season prospects, state finals two years running.

Must be something in the water in PA?

Thanks
David