View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greensabre91
hello, first off i am a freshman in high school and in the school junior varsity baseball team. my first plan was to be a pitcher but that plan quickly fell apart when i saw some of the competition. then i saw the catcher spot was pretty much mine to lose so i am making it my goal to win that spot. i have past experience catching for pitchers for basically warmup but never during an actual game. i come here because i know alot of you are catchers past and preasent and i would love to pick your brains to put a good impression to my coaches and teammates. any and all tips are very appreciated.
I have no catching tips but this is what I want from my catchers.

1. Hustle out to the plate between innings to warm up the pitcher.

2. Frame pitches. Don't pull them into the zone. When my catcher does that it's a ball.

3. Get as close to the plate as possible. You'll get more strikes.

4. Block pitches. If I don't have to worry about getting hit I can "lock into the pitch".

5. It's OK to ask about a pitch just don't turn around when you ask that question.

6. If the Coach says "where was that pitch" (they only ask if they think it's a strike.) Tell him it was a little high, or outside etc. whatever the case may be.

7. When the relief pitcher comes in warm him up first and when he's done then discuss the signs.

8. Request time every time you visit the pitcher. That way we eliminate any unusual things from happening.

9. When a wild pitch. passed ball etc. happens don't throw your mask behind you (that's where I'm standing) throw it to the side.

10. Get down low enough and position your glove so the umpire can see the entire plate.

11. Don't appeal on every check swing.

12. Remember like you we make mistakes. If the pitch is belt high right down the middle and the Umpire calls it a ball don't let your "body language" betray what you thought of the call.

Hope this helps.