Thread: Clock question
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Had an interesting Friday with clock management. Was wondering if anybody had any opinions.
First off the gentleman came to the referee of my crew and explained he had several years of expierence running both the game clock as well as the 25 second play clock. This guy was horrible he would start the 25 second clock well after the ready for play whistle and a few times never even started it at all. It always seemed to start later when the home team had the ball. The most interesting thing of the night is when the play clock was down to about 12 seconds it was then restarted for no apparent reason. I believe this is in violation so we communicated with the clock person and never really got an answeras to why he did this. So we restarted the clock and told the team they could not break the huddle until the play clock reached 12 seconds so they did and it then resulted in a delay of game penalty.

My question is at what point do you start keeping the 25 second clock on the field. Under NFHS rules as long as the clock is working you have to use it. Do you penalize the home team fo this? We were unsure what to do.
Any opinions would help.