View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 10, 2005, 09:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Apples and oranges.

A passer is a runner until he passes the ball. Defenders are chasing him, trying to tackle him before he passes.

A punter in position to receive a snap is not a runner, nor is he as he releases the ball to kick it. That's why the defense is not allowed to make contact unless it's "unavoidable because it is not reasonably certain that a kick will be made." HELLO? Ring a bell?

BTW, I haven't seen these discussions that you speak. Right now, it's 2 for a flag, 1 against. You're losing.
The "not reasonably certain that a kick will be made" is a comment to let the defense "off the hook" (no RTK) if he is running and at the last minute kicks it. That shows that even though he became a "kicker" he will not be awarded the protection a normal "kicker" receives. And yes, I know of the statement.

So you are going to call RTK if he is holding the ball out in front of him preparing to kick it and gets creamed by a defender who never got blocked???? What is the defender supposed to do, stop in front of him and stick his arms out to block it when he does kick it. Heck no, he is going to hit him before he kicks it and there should be no flag unless it would be of the PF nature.

I'll start a new post to point others to this one to make sure we get some more good input.
That provision (not reasonably certain a kick will be made) causes us a lot of trouble at times. I had a game earlier this season where a bad snap forced the punter to move three steps to his left to get the snap, but he immediately set up and punted the ball and then was run into by a defensive player. Flag by me, B's coach goes nuts because "he was running with the ball," blah, blah, blah.

For me, you have to be reasonable to both teams -- and the book gives you ample wiggle room so that when something strange happens it becomes purely a judgement call.

On the original play, I have nothing on both plays. Vulnerable or not, the punter did not get the kick off. If the kick was blocked, would we worry about contact and how vulnerable the kicker was? This kick never even got off -- this is just a good defensive play and poor line play by the kicking team.