View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phatneff
My opinion on this matter is that ruling is "trifling". Especially at that age, the importance should be based on safety itself, rather than the semantics of how they are followed. We should applaud the fact that shinguards are being worn rather than them not wearing them because they are uncomfortable. I think it's ridiculous to make an 8-year old think that he/she is wrong for wearing the appropriate equipment in a manner that is comfortable to them and would make them want to continue wearing them. You can address this issue in several years from now, but let the children learn the game first before they are told about the minute details of the equipment.

Again, this is TRIFLING!
__________________________________________________ _________

Sorry Phatneff, but it's not trifling. Shin guards are worn to protect kids and wearing them the way he descried in not the right way. They'll turn and you end up with a hurt kid or one with a broken leg. Suppose he lets them play that waa and one does get hurt. Who's liable in this "sue crazy" world? I've seen them worn that way being described a lot but it's not the right way. As for them not being comfortable, do what most HS and older players do. Put on a regular sock, the guard, and the game sock. Better against blisters that way anyway. I also am glad the kid was working hard to officiate how he was taught. More kids and adults need to do this.