Old Mon Oct 03, 2005, 08:59am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
I believe he is still eligible as long as he lined up in an eligible position and has an eligible number on. The foul is for illegal formation. He's a player who lined up incorrectly.
walt,
he didn't line up correctly. he wasn't inside the mark. If a player lines up in the "no-man land" (neither on or off the LOS) That player has committed a illegal formation foul which makes him an ineligible, correct?
Tom, I found this.

From the Redding Guide - Example 3-10

With less than two minutes remaining in the first half, Team A is in a hurry-up offense. End A89, runs a long pass pattern and does not return to his team's huddle. He remains outside the nine-yard marks and goes to a position near the sideline after the ready. On the next play, A89 catches a pass. Ruling: Foul on A89 for an illegal formation; 5 yard penalty from the previous spot.

There's no mention of an ineligble here.
Walt,
We have two different questions running in this thread.

1- if a player leaves the field and isn't replaced but re-enters ...no foul, I agree with. I scr

------------------------------------------------

2- Illegal formation: 7-2-3

ART. 3 . . . Of the players of A who are not on their line at the snap only one may penetrate the vertical plane through the waistline of his nearest teammate who is on his line. He must have his hands in position to receive the ball if it is snapped between the snapper's legs but he is not required to receive the snap. Any other player(s) must be in legal position as a back. (See 2-30-3)

Doesn't an eligible player have to be on the end of the line or in the back field? Doesn't that make this player ineligible? An if an ineligible player goes down field, OPI?

yes/no?

If yes to the above. Then if a player doesn't make it inside the 9 yard mark and causes a illegal formation call. Doesn't that make him an ineligible player?