View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

I mostly agree with everything else that has been said. I do notice that this is the same play run three times. I also notice that these blocks are by the snapper and the end. I see both the guard and tackle pulling on the play. All players are in the zone and the ball has not left when the blocks are initiated.

In the first play the defensive lineman is lined up close to the snapper and so the end can't actually get to him to block him. Then the snapper pushed the defensive lineman over the end.

In the second play the defensive lineman is lined up between the snapper and the end. This is why both of them get to him at the same time and why the block is legal.

On the third play the defensive lineman is lined up closer to the snapper again so the end can't get to him before the snapper starts his block. This is a chop block.

On a side note, this blocking technique, while technically legal at times, is not a good technique to teach. Often, as we see in this video, something out of the control of the offensive players can make this illegal. The end is just diving at the knee of the defensive player and the coach should be told of the danger in this type of block. I'm guessing that he has seen it blocked this way in an NFL game and he thought that it would also work for his team.