Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by jeffpea
The only times that you may have an issue is during a shot or a loose ball.
I agree. But remember that during a shot, there is no team control; during a "loose ball", there usually is team control. So administration of double fouls will be different in those two situations. (No team control = AP arrow; team control = possession to team in control.)

Quote:
Generally speaking, you won't have a T during those instances
True, but double personals while diving for a loose ball, or double personals while grappling for rebounding position (while not common) are not unheard of.
I just ask that nobody on this forum not be the guy to call this loose ball T. If we are good at game management, which I think all of us on here are, we will wait to see who gains possession before calling the T. I had the situation where a player was shooting a three and the defender just started giving me hell, because I missed an illegal screen, and I just waited to see who gained the rebound and T'ed him up.
Um, weren't they talking about double technical fouls?

You must be referring to NCAA rules anyway, right? Under FED rules, the penalty is the same no matter when you call it. And under NCAA rules, the ball is gonna go to the POI anyway for a direct player T, isn't it? Do you really think that it's good game management" to wait? What if you waited and then the team of the player that got the T also got the rebound? Aren't you possibly rewarding that team with an extra possession that they don't deserve?

Are you referring to SEC principles here? Does the SEC really recommend ignoring the NCAA rule as written, and to then make up your own rule under the guise of "game management"? Just wondering.....most college supervisors I've talked to don't really like it when their officials don't follow the rules as written. It's kinda hard to explain these cases to the coach that's asking them about the call. In this case, it's called "giving someone an extra advantage not intended by the rules". That concept is kinda frowned on in some leagues.

Jmo, but you're better off just calling the game by the rules sometimes.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Sep 28th, 2005 at 01:48 AM]