View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 09:49am
I Bleed Crimson

We get inconsistent direction on this one. When attending the state clinic each fall, we are directed by the clinician that silence is prefereable. But if you do say something, say "This is your line" while pointing to your foot that is on the line. Other than that we are to point back if they are off the line, or do nothing if on the line.

But of course, each WH has his own preference. One WH I work with says there should never be an illegal formation call since we should be working with the kids. Another WH I work with does everything by the book. So if there is an illegal formation, flag it and tell the coach what happened. Leave it up to the coach to fix the problem he says. So after a couple of illegal formations (I don't usually flag the kid the first time, I warn him and the coach), they finally get it.

Coaches attend the clinic as well, and are told that we are to be silent. Yet the kids come out asking "Am I ok?" How do I know where they are supposed to lineup? So if A gets flagged for an illegal formation, the coach tells the kid to ask the wing. I explain to the coach and the kid that I will not tell them if they are ok. I explain that if I point back they are off the line, and if I do nothing, they are on the line. I always get quizzed looks and remind the coach of the clinic.

For varsity, I usually follow the state instructions (unless I'm working with the one anomalous WH). For JV, I say "On" or "Off" and warn about 5 or 6 times before throwing a flag. Below I do the same, but I never throw the flag. The way I see it, varsity kids should know where to line-up. JV is to help them get to the next level, so I give a little help. Below JV, they are mostly clueless.