View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I had this same call two weeks ago. Single back, in three point takes a step forward (obviously missed the count). I toss the flag (LJ) and my white hat wasn't happy about it. He said "I saw that but its okay if he resets". I stuck with the story of "it looks like he was simulating the snap". While no defenders were drawn off side, I waited a second before tossing the flag to see if he completed the motion or if it was truely a blunder.

The more I think about it, the better I feel about my call. If we have two or three reciever to a side and the slot reciever comes out of his stance (obviously not shifting) not many people wouldn't hesitate to throw the flag. While technically he can reset, there is a common interperation of the rules that most players and coaches have come to accept as practice. Unless you are clearly shifting to a new postiotn, motion prior to the snap, once set, is illegal motion...procedue, whatever you want to call it.

The thing is, the coach yelled at the player for the foul that I called. Had I not called it, no doubt in my mind the other coach would have thought we missed a call. While its important to know the fine details of the rules, its also important to apply them in a way that is consistant with the way the game is and has been played for years.