Thread: Line Up Wheel
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

My no cents

If you don't mind the opinion of a relative (2nd year) newbie, here's my experience. I used the line up wheel from Get Official last year. Everyone I worked with throughout the volleyball season used index cards. A few of my partners asked to see my wheel and always gave a smirk as they returned it to me. Last year I thought the wheel made it easier for me to check overlaps. The only problem I experienced was that my wheel spun TOO easily, making me unsure of alignments on occasion. Also, the constant erasing does make the wheels unusable after just a dozen or so matches.

I switched to index cards this year and I am now a convert. I find it much easier to track servers and overlaps using this method. Probably most of that is due to a year of experience, but I don't see myself switching back anytime soon, even for lower level matches (which is the majority of what I work as I gain experience). It's more work keeping the card, but I'm getting better at recording information in a timely manner. Last week I was working a 6th grade match (those are brutal) and my partner was using the Get Official wheel!