View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Where I used to live, Wisconsin, the coaching box was only available during varsity games. All other levels were seat belted. It is an advantage if one coach is standing and coaching his players while the other abides by the seatbelt rule. When that happened, I would warn the offending coach once. Next time he was up, I'd blow my whistle and ask him/her if they wanted a full or thirty. They'd usually look puzzled and go on about they weren't requesting a time out. At which I'd reply, "Well you were standing so I thought you were requesting a time out. It's either that or a tech. What'll it be?" "Thirty" was the normal answer. Didn't have a problem after that.

Now for those who say don't go looking for trouble, if the rules are for them to remain on the bench, it is an advantage for them to stand and converse with their players. At this point, I was "auditioning" for varsity games and I didn't see it as over-officiating rather as fairly enforcing the rules. Not that I agree with the rule, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it was the local rule.

Mregor