View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 16, 2005, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The problem is that a rookie hears two opposing voices and has trouble balancing them out. I speak from experience here, I've had this problem myself.

One voice says, "The rule is the rule, and you must enforce the rule. If you let them get by with it, you just make it harder for the next ref."

The other voice says, "It's clear that the intent isn't to whack every (whatever infraction) defined right down to the last centimeter. You've got to let some of that stuff roll off you back, relax a little."

These are said by equally experienced and elevated refs in equally uncertain circumstances, and the problem is for the rookie to sort out when to be firm and unwavering, and when to be flexible and magnanimous.

Truerookie, the only thing for you to do is to go to games that are being worked by experienced refs in your area, and watch what they let go and what they crack down on. Interpretation does vary by association, and by locality.

Also, note that when the coaching box is in effect, continuous standing IS legal. That's why the coaching box is for. The rule says it's not legal, but that only applies when the coaching box is not adopted in that state. If your state has the coaching box, then the coach is allowed to stand continuously, as long as he's just coaching.

Also, could you please put a little more punctuation into your posts? It's a little hard to understand what you're trying to say sometimes.