Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 11:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
At some point, based on the positioning of A1 and B1 and the paths they have chosen, LGP could be established (according to rule book definition) will come into play unless B1 runs over A1 from behind. If the foul is on A1, LGP was established momentarily before the contact, if the foul was on B1, then LGP was lost or never obtained prior to contact.
Do those blanket criteria hold even if the dribbler pushes off with an arm? [/B]
I am not quite sure what you are getting at, but I will attempt to answer.

In my mind (or what is left in it) the guarding position is important for determining block/charge contact. I think we can agree that a push from the arm of A1 while dribbling will be a foul on A1. B1 does not have to have LGP to receive a push from A1 - they could be moving in parallel paths.

Maybe what you are asking is "What if B1 does not have LGP and is blocking A1 and A1 pushes B1 with his off arm at the same time. If that happens, you have a double foul. However, here is my general disclaimer - you have to see the play and determine which foul happened first or if they happened at the same time or if the contact was incidental.

[/B][/QUOTE]What I'm getting at is that LGP applies in some case but not in all cases. There doesn't have to be LGP involved at all to determine block/charge in the scenarios we're talking about. That's why that case book play that I cited said "screening principles apply...", not "guarding principles apply...". You said above that LGP "will come into play". I think that probably should read "may come into play".