View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
First I disagree that B1 does not have LGP. There is a simple definition of legal guarding position 4-23-2. All you need is two feet on the floor and be facing the opponent. Your LPG may not be very good (as far as defending the basket), but you still got it.

LPG is important for judging contact. The key to judging the contact is in 4-23-3-c. This basically says the defender cannot be moving toward the opponent when the contact occurs. You judge this contact not in relation to where the basket is, but in relation to the movement of the two players involved. If you deem A1 moves into B1, then the foul is on A1 and vice versa.
You left out one important part of LGP....being in the path of the opponent. If B1 is roughly following A1, B1 does not have LGP. It still might be a foul on A1 for not allowing time/distance in setting a screen but it's not about LGP.
I agree. But at the same time I wanted to point out (and did not do a good job of it) that LGP is for certain directions an offensive player may opt to go. For example, A1 is at the top of the key holding the ball. B1 in inbetween A1 and the basket facing A1. B1 has LGP for A1's path to the basket, but not for a retreat to the division line or a path to either sideline. Lets say A1 dribbles sideways to the sideline and B1 sidles with A1, staying inbetween the basket and A1. Most refs will say that B1 is guarding A1 and still has LGP when in fact B1 has never got into the actual path of A1. Therefore, I did not cite the criteria of getting in the path of A1. At some point, based on the positioning of A1 and B1 and the paths they have chosen, LGP could be established (according to rule book definition) will come into play unless B1 runs over A1 from behind. If the foul is on A1, LGP was established momentarily before the contact, if the foul was on B1, then LGP was lost or never obtained prior to contact.

I think we would be in agreement on the call, just that I describe and view things a little different.