View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: No...I think I did say 'replay.' I was basing that on NF 5-1-2 which says that you can't award a new series until you take into account all action (fouls) that occur during the down. Yes, K will normally be awarded a new series based upon R's touching beyond the neutral zone, but...their foul does throw a monkey wrench into that. Isn't that the same for all items in NF 5-1-3? Take 5-1-3a for example. "A new series is awarded to...Team A if the ball belongs to A on or beyond the line to-gain." Sure...but what if A fouls during that play? Do you still award the new series? Of course not. Why should it be any different for 5-1-3f? All of those 5-1-3 cases where a new series is due to be awarded are dependent upon fouls and their acceptance or declination. At least that's my opinion. I may be wrong, but there's nothing that clearly says that 5-1-3f should be excluded from the same 5-1-2 filter that the other 5-1-3 items need to pass through.

Likewise, for the play where both teams foul (IDF and DPI) this is a double foul since there is no change of possession, and you would replay the down. 'Clean hands' has no relevance in these plays since K was in team possession for the entire down.