Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by MrUmpire
Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by umpyre007
The interpretations you are encountering are that it "could" be obstruction and the bottom line advice you are receiving is that this is a judgment call. Problem is that you have to "see" the violation in order to call it. Where would a BU be and concentrationg on when this "back-back" scenario happens?
No, the interpretations stated that it WAS obstruction, if the player reacted to the verbal "back-back." No judgement involved.

I would disagree. Someone has to judge if an action by the player was a reaction to the verbal. I think that should be the umpire.

Not every move by a runner, even a move back to the bag, is necessarily a reaction to the verbal. The runner may be thinking that the pitcher is about to try to pick him off, and goes back to the back. Judgment is definitely involved.
Please be an official and not so wishy washy about everything. We can make a decision about something and enforce it or stand out on the field thinking about every excuse under the sun why we shouldn't call something.

IF THE PLAYER REACTED TO THE VERBAL "Back-Back" THERE IS NO JUDGEMENT INVOLVED. OBSTRUCTION. No, What-ifs, no maybes, no, it could of been. Just Obstruction. Your trying to analyze something to death here.

Wonder if the runner dies on the way back and it is Sunday afternoon and his mother is at the game and the coach was really thinking about yelling back anyway,,,,yady yady, yada.........!

I'm sorry, but I live and work in the real world. Here when I see an action I have to decide what the action is and what caused it. That, sir, is called using judgment.

If you can umpire without it, have at it.

Well here is the "Real World." We have told you what caused it and what the action was. Ah Dah, I wonder what judgement you could possibly come up with besides obstruction. HELLO!!!