View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Nice to have a rule book, but I don't think this was what world wide fan was looking for.
I did it for the express reason that wwf has probably never seen a rule book, as evidenced by the comments on the "number of steps". Now, whether or not officials as a whole call the rule correctly is another discussion. But at least wwf will look at these situations under a new light; and my guess is (s)he will all of a sudden start seeing more correct calls. Not because the officials are calling it different, but because wwf is seeing it with a different perspective. It's hard to make correct assumptions (nobody calls that anymore), if the basis is incorrect (traveling is merely a case of counting the steps). My guess is wwf also doesn't know the correct rules on palming and carrying as well. I'd be willing to bet they think no one's calling the high dribble any more as well.

So, our job as officials is to provide as much enlightenment to the uneducated as possible. With every person that we are able to convert, they may talk to a friend and convert them as well. Pretty soon, maybe even coaches will be come part of the enlightened masses! (Ok, so I dream big... )

(Used with permission.)