Thread: Line Up Wheel
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Well....here goes! The Line Up wheel card I have used have 2-identical wheels which are divided into 6 pie-shaped areas. Above the horizontal centerline, in the circle, are 3 pies. These are my "back row" players. The first pie is colored red (server), the next 2 pies are white. Below the centerline are 3 pies representing "front row" players. These pies are colored in green. Once the line ups are submitted by the coaches, I write in the team's lineup in serving order (1-6) on the rotating top wheel starting with the server in the red "pie", then down into the green "pies" for 2,3 & 4....then up to the white "pies" with 5 & 6. You can indicate the setter's and captain's number too, if you wish.

Place the number of the player serving in the red area of the locator circle by rotating the top wheel.

Front court players will be in the green half of the locator circle. A circled number in the green identifies a front-row setter and their two hitters. If the setter is in the back court, all players in the green may receive front court sets.

Substitutions are recorded by writing both player's numbers in the same rotation position.

Now....this tool, in concept, has worked ok for me in lower level play...where you don't usually have several multiple substitutions. However, no matter what level, if you use a dry marker on this tool, you run the risk of accidentally rubbing of the numbers....getting your white polo shirt speckled with black dust or wet ink from the marker. All bad things! Moving the top wheel almost always is difficult and is the point where you are most likely to "erase" your data. A grease pen works best if you like using this tool.

I still prefer the index cards using two different colored paper clips to track both team servers.