Thread: Warnings
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Coach, I heard You

I am a newbie to FB but have been doing BskBall for about 6-years. I agree with the warning/preventive officiating, if only some coaches would heed the "warnings". Sat AM, had a HS Frosh game, it was early and it was hot, but that should not be an excuse for the coaches.

Red Asst Coach is starting to harp about "everytime they run that sweep, they're holding our end", and his voice is one that is heard about two blocks away [in fact had another individual from the school talk to us at half time and tell us he heard the coach from inside the school which is about 150-yards from the coaches box].

I had the Red sideline, I told the Asst Coach I heard him and gave him the old stop sign. The next time White ran the sweep to the other side, he started chirping again. I told Asst Coach Okay, I heard him. [I didn't see any holding but the run was towards the LM side and I was drifting downfield and trying to clean up]. Between plays I am right next to Red HC, I told HC that he better take care of his sideline before I had to. HC turned right away and headed for the Asst Coach, don't know if or what he said to him, if anything.

The next chance the crew [4-man] had to huddle, I passed on the coaches concerns to everyone so we could be watching for holding. The next series Red has ball, and what do they do, 1st down RT pulls down the DE. U gets the hold. Back up 10 and do it again. On 3rd down, Red runs sweep to LM side, U gets pulling LG with a nice tackle on DT. Backup 10 more and do it again. Red is able to recover from both penalties and sustains a fairly nice drive. It's about 2nd and 4 from White 35-Yd line and RG gets a hold on DE on pass play. Red finally stalls on the drive and punts.

So now we start hearing that "everyone on our line got called for holding on that series. Why don't you guys call it both ways.

Next series, White's ball, and they run the sweep away from me. Asst Coach, started up again, "they're holding our end". I again gave stop sign, and told Asst Coach, that's enough, I heard him. He kind of looks at me and turns toward the umpire, and yells the umpire's name [they used to work together] and says "you gotta call those holds".

I sent yellow flying and gave Asst Coach USC. The HC asked what for, I replied, "I think you got a pretty good idea coach". It got a lot quieter in the neighborhood after that.

So much for warnings. Do you think if we gave that many warnings to a player before we flagged him the coach would talk to the player along the lines like "how stupid are you kid, he warned you three times, he told you not to do that, what part of no do you not understand".

Just my take on a pleasant walk in the park on a Sat morning in September.

[Edited by golfdesigner on Sep 12th, 2005 at 08:33 AM]