Thread: Working a Wing
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 08, 2005, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Here's something I was told and it works out really well. Assuming you have two wing officials, your responsibility ends with the center. So what I do is start counting from the guard towards me, if I have three, I grab the bill of my cap to alert the opposite official my side is good. If I have two, I make a two or peace sign and put that on my chest. If I have four, I place an open palm on my face. Very seldom do you see a team run an unbalanced line but when they do, those signals come in handy. It may sound like a little of signals but it really works pretty well and it is unobtrusive.

If both wings have three on their side of the field plus the center, you have 7 on the line. Then I have a quick check of my backs/eligibles, and we're good to go.

One other thing going back to wingman responsibilities. Your responsibility for action on the line stops with the center too. Anything past the center is the official on the other side. So if you have encroachment or false start past the center, that is the other wing officials call. You can come in and help out but those calls should be left to the wing on the other side.

Hope that helps! If you have any questions email me and I can pass on some other tips I've come across.