View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I just can't believe that the purpose and intent of the NCAA ruling is to give the dribbler carte blanche to run into or over defenders- no matter where they are, if the defender has fallen down. Iow, how many steps should you allow that dribbler to take before running over the falling defender, if any?
I'm having a hard time imagining what the dribbler could do to foul the guy on the floor. He might step on him, in which case I'd have to judge whether it was intentional or not. But other than that, what action(s) are you envisioning? If the defender falls down, the dribbler is going to the basket. And in that case, if he trips over B1, it's a foul on B1.

What other case could arise?
B1 is guarding A1, who is dribbling. B1 has established LGP. A1 moves agressively straight at B1, who moves straight back. B1 loses his/her balance and falls backwards, at which point A1 runs into and trips over B1.

Clearly if B1 had not fallen over backwards, this would have been a foul on A1. The question is whether B1 loses LGP by falling over backwards. Some in this thread have argued that A.R. 23 after 4-33.4a says that any time a player is on the floor, he/she is in an illegal defensive position. However, looking at 4-33.6, one could argue that B1 has met the requirements to maintain LGP.